Victorian Lace Adventures

by anna on January 25, 2012

in Anna's Blog

Well, I did finish my first Victorian Lace clock. Although for a while it seemed that it was going to finish me. I think it is one of my best clocks. And one of the hardest to make, too :).

The molding, despite its name, is all handmade. I thought about creating an actual mold from the first quarter of it, but then decided against it. It wouldn’t look as good, with typical “molded” edge. So, it is all extruder work. Love my extruder! You can tell :).

This is actually a second attempt. The first one got blown :). On the right you can see me removing the molding from the first attempt. Superglue is sure a good thing – unless you have to remove something set on it. The board looked so ugly after I’ve removed the molding that I just decided to make another one.

Initially I wanted to make it a foil art face, but that didn’t work out either :). The molding was too intricate to successfully apply foil. So, I just went with clay and paint.

The next challenge I faced was that the clock shaft was too short. The maximum length of shafts manufactured is 1 3/16″ (for 3/4″ surfaces). My surface was exactly 3/4″. However, the clock has long Gothic looking hands I specially ordered for that purpose. The clock also has natural freshwater pearls set as time markers. Since pearls are natural material, their height can vary. So it did. So the longest, minute hand, whileΒ  going over some markers, would catch on the others. Now, how darn is that?! πŸ™‚

So, I had everything set and glued in place when I found out that shaft is too short, and the clock won’t run properly. I take a special pride in my clocks being very exact. Maybe I shouldn’t. Because your pride can be your pain. Literally.

The obvious solution to the problem was to carve an indentation in the back for the clock movement to sit in – that would raise the hands above the surface. Of course, you can’t hand-carve with bunch of delicate elements attached on the other side. So, with Ken we decided to try our hand at power carving. Off we went to a Home Depot store and got some bits for power carving. Bull’s nose (ball nose) bit proved to do the best job.

I laid the clock on a carpet, so there’s a soft but firm surface, and decorations wouldn’t get crushed. Because of all these decorations we obviously couldn’t clamp the board, and I hand-held it while Ken was carving. The problem is – the board ain’t big, so my hands were way too close to the carving area. And in no time Ken was already carving on my left hand! These drill bits are really good, let me tell ya; they make good indentations in wood as well as in skin. Well, I guess the scars will heal soon :).

Finally, the clock was finished. Which I’m very glad about :). I still love this guy. Despite the scars :). And he is exact.

I’ve always had a thing about making clocks. Through the years I’ve made many of them. It is a very special feeling – to feel alive time in your hand and to hear the clock’s heart beating. I love to make clocks :). Below you can see some of the ones I made during the past couple years.

Clockwise πŸ™‚ from the left: Stained Glass Fish Clock, Cowboy Clock, Time to Eat Clock, Crystal Autumn Clock, Golden Age Clock, and Frozen Music Clock.

Bye till the next time! πŸ™‚

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: